Numerous bays with fine sandy beaches, turquoise sea, an impressive, varied nature and exciting historical sites from antiquity – all that is Greece. No wonder that both mainland Greece and the Greek islands are among our favorite destinations. Besides the many hours of sunshine and the delicious Greek cuisine, it is the hospitality of the Greeks that is most appealing. In order to bring you a little bit closer to this great country, we give you here an overview of the most important facts about Greece and numerous tips for your stay.
Greece key data
- Location: Southeastern Europe, located on the Mediterranean Sea
- consisting of the mainland, the Peloponnese peninsula and 3.054 Islands in the Ionian Sea and the Aegean Sea
- Capital: Athens
- Official language: Greek
- Population: 11.16 million (as of 2018)
- Currency: EURO
- 15 international airports
- Time difference: + 1 hour in Greece
Climate and weather in Greece
The location on the Mediterranean Sea gives Greece a Mediterranean climate – it brings hot, dry summers and mild humid winters. In May the sea can still be quite cool, but the flowers are most beautiful in this month and a real highlight for nature and hiking lovers. In the summer, temperatures quickly rise above 30° C and invite you to swim.